The Cubs (65-76) have been playing their best baseball since May, winning eight of their last nine games with a more consistent offensive output. They were able to take two of three from the playoff-contending Reds, but it will be a decidedly different storyline when they welcome the Giants to Wrigley for three this weekend.
The Giants have the best record in baseball at 90-50 and are well on the way to the postseason, but that’s not what Cubs fans are focused on. Instead, it’s Kris Bryant‘s to the Friendly Confines that will be the lead story over the next few days.
Anthony Rizzo and Javy Báez are not returning to Wrigley this season, so KB will be the only core member shipped away to come back in 2021 with emotions still raw. With all he contributed to the Cubs’ success, the former MVP should be greeted very warmly despite the new uniform. Maybe because of it.
Even with the past playing a big role here, the Cubs as a team need to focus on the future. Players like Ian Happ, Frank Schwindel, and Patrick Wisdom continue to state their respective cases for roles in 2022 and beyond, then you’ve got a pitching staff that will be in flux this offseason.
I have been thinking of a quote from William Faulkner, who said: “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.” Bryant will always be a Cub no matter what uniform he wears or how long he plays because the bonds of memory cannot be broken by contracts or trades.
Thanks for everything, KB.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, September 10 at 1:20pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee
- Saturday, September 11 at 1:20pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee
- Sunday, September 12 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee
What to Watch For
- The Giants will opt for bullpen games on Friday and Sunday instead of going with starting pitchers.
- Happ had five hits and three home runs against the Reds and has gotten his wRC+ and OPS back close to league average. It’s a remarkable turnaround from horrible numbers in just about a month.
- Reliever Codi Heuer has an 0.90 ERA in 20 appearances as a Cub as he relies on a “hybrid” fastball.
The post Cubs vs Giants Series Preview (September 10-12): TV and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights appeared first on Cubs Insider.